Here at Horseshoe Cottage Farm we take environmental issues very seriously. After all, we are situated in such a beautiful spot in the heart of Leicestershire we feel it’s our duty to look after it! Download a PDF copy of our green policy here.
As part of our commitment to green issues we were part of GTBS and attained their highest award of gold. We have chosen not to be part of their scheme now but still maintain exceptionally high standards. We are now part of Responsible Travel and Wild and Green Escapes.
Here is a brief summary of our key environmentally friendly policies:
- We try and source our food locally, reducing food miles and like to cook what is in season.
- We compost garden and kitchen waste
- We use Fair Trade products when no local item is available
- We have locally produced organic toiletries in all bathrooms
- We encourage wildlife and birds into the garden
- We have solar panels to heat the water for your bathrooms
- We have low energy bulbs where possible
- We collect roof water to use in the greenhouse and garden tubs
- We recycle paper, cardboard, glass, tins and plastic reducing our landfill by 60%.
- We change your sheets and towels every 3 days unless you wish otherwise
- We use eco friendly cleaning products
- We line dry washing all year round
- We have double glazing throughout and high insulation of walls, floors and roofs.
- We have a 4 KW display of solar PV panels
- We have a new biomass boiler.
Electric Vehicles Welcome
We welcome guests with electric vehicles and provide a proprietary charging point free of charge.
Locally Sourced Produce
We pride ourselves on the fact that our breakfasts are almost entirely locally sourced. Our bread is homemade using flour from local Claybrooke Mill. The porridge oats are also from the Mill. The award winning yoghurts are from Linda’s cousin’s farm, Manor Farm Thrussington and have won first prize at the prestigious Nantwich Dairy show. Jams and marmalade are homemade by Linda from fruits from the garden. Meat products are from Johnsons Butchers in Woodhouse Eaves and they source the produce locally. The fruit compote is from garden fruits and Linda makes her own granola. When available, tomatos are from the greenhouse. Download our Leicestershire Breakfast menu or Leicestershire Vegetarian menus.
We use organically produced soaps and toiletries from justsoapsoftheearth.co.uk.
Loughborough Farmers Market
These markets are normally held on the second Wednesday of each month in Loughborough Town Centre between 9am and 2.30pm approx. There is always a wide variety of organic and healthy food and drink including such items as local wine, bread, fruit and veg, poultry, pork, beef, lamb and even Ostrich!
and best of all...
There is so much to do without even going out in the car! Just put your boots on and explore the most beautiful park in Leicestershire – Bradgate Park, or stroll round Swithland Woods. Whatever the time of year it is a truly wonderful place with fantastic views of the county from Old John. Your host Linda has lived here all her life, so has extensive knowledge of the whole area and plenty of excellent walk or cycle route recommendations. ...It’s all on the doorstep!